Beantwoord

Using mesh without Bbox4

• 7 March 2023
  • 7 reacties
  • 607 Bekeken

Hello, i had a question over mesh wifi network, when buying a 6E capable mesh router can i use it as a main router as well ?, i dont wanna plug in bbox modem with highest end wifi mesh routers, do i need to buy  specific asus modem router or so or cant i do it with proximus? 

icon

Beste antwoord door philippe_d 9 March 2023, 00:42

Bekijk origineel

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

FYI e.g.

Conseil pour l'utilisateur d'un routeur sur une connexion fibre | Proximus Forum

=

It might be possible to connect your own private router on the Proximus ONT (and not to make use of the Proximus internetbox “BBOX4”)) in case your router does support VLAN (and you do not make use of Proximus TV decoders)

&

On the other hand, this assembly would probably no longer be necessary because the Internet Box in bridge mode does not seem to cause any loss of performance.

&

On the other hand, this assembly would probably no longer be necessary because the Internet Box in bridge mode does not seem to cause any loss of performance.

Then i will disable the wifi only ok, 1 more question for a mesh network or access points, they only have 1, 1gig ports, only asus et pro have 2, 2.5gig port, normally mesh routers say connect to it frst to modem but i want the full 2.5gig wifi on the units and i want to go first modem to 2.5gig network swtich and then to eery unit single 2.5gig cable from switch, is that possible? do i get reduction of speed that i havent did a direct cable from modem to mesh router ? 

I also did a thread to ltt if someone wanna reply there thank you.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1492515-router-vs-access-point/#comment-15831727

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hello, i had a question over mesh wifi network, when buying a 6E capable mesh router can i use it as a main router as well ?, i dont wanna plug in bbox modem with highest end wifi mesh routers, do i need to buy  specific asus modem router or so or cant i do it with proximus? 

a Proximus internet connection will only work with a bbox or an internet box. 

You have the option of installing another (private) router on the bbox, but the helpdesk does not support this.

Geert

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

@Cemilaw

First of all you should mention wich Proximus subscription you have. I assume from above you have a Fiber connection .. which speed?

Contrary to the previous post, you can run your own router on a Proximus Fiber connection. There are 2 ways:

Using the Internet Box

• Go to “My Proxiumus” and activate the bridge (Advanced settings > Network > Bridged LAN Host) by entering the WAN MAC adress of your router.
  • Disable the WiFi of your Internet Box.
  • Connect the WAN port of your (mesh) router to the LAN1/bridge port of the Proximus Internet Box.
  • use DHCP as the interconnection mode on your router. No VLAN needed.
  • Your router will now receive a public IPv4 adress and a IPv6 /56 Prefix.

Without the Internet Box

• Disconnect the Proximus Internet Box from the Proximus ONT (Fiber modem).
  • Connect the WAN port of your router to Proximus ONT.
  • Set the WAN port of your router to VLAN20 and use DHCP (IPoE).

You were talking about 2.5Gbps, however you must be aware that the Proximus ONT currently only has a 1Gbps port …

Unless you are in one of the cities where Proximus is rolling out the new XGS-PON service (Antwerp, Brussels (19 communes), Gent, Liège and Namur)?

Here your existing GPON-only ONT will be replaced with a 1-port XGS-PON to make multigigabit speeds available (8,5/1,5 Gbps profile) ...

@Cemilaw

First of all you should mention wich Proximus subscription you have. I assume from above you have a Fiber connection .. which speed?

Contrary to the previous post, you can run your own router on a Proximus Fiber connection. There are 2 ways:

Using the Internet Box

• Go to “My Proxiumus” and activate the bridge (Advanced settings > Network > Bridged LAN Host) by entering the WAN MAC adress of your router.
  • Disable the WiFi of your Internet Box.
  • Connect the WAN port of your (mesh) router to the LAN1/bridge port of the Proximus Internet Box.
  • use DHCP as the interconnection mode on your router. No VLAN needed.

Without the Internet Box

• Disconnect the Proximus Internet Box from the Proximus ONT (Fiber modem).
  • Connect the WAN port of your router to Proximus ONT.
  • Set the WAN port of your router to VLAN20 and use DHCP (IPoE).

You were talking about 2.5Gbps, however you must be aware that the Proximus ONT currently only has a 1Gbps port …

Unless you are in one of the cities where Proximus is rolling out the new XGS-PON service (Antwerp, Brussels (19 communes), Gent, Liège and Namur)?

Here your existing GPON-only ONT will be replaced with a 1-port XGS-PON to make multigigabit speeds available (8,5/1,5 Gbps profile) ...

Thank you for the detailed answer,

I want to replace to a futureproof hardware before it comes, i live in 1800 Vilvoorde i hope the testing of the 10gig doesnt take long.

Reageer